Robot Mesh Mimic 3D Model representations

Over the weekend we have made some changes to the 3D models of all the robot parts in the mimics.

The models are now simpler representations and work much better on student computers and devices which they may be using when doing remote learning from home.

I apologize for the short notice with this change and that it’s currently more difficult to assemble a robot. We are working on improving the models of each part so they work well and look good. The first update will be to the gears.

Regards,
Anthony

Would it be possible to have an option to toggle between the high-poly and low poly models? With the low poly models it’s really hard to line up screws with the holes, since we can’t see them. Also I can tell which way the screw heads are.

5 Likes

Or maybe work on the holes before the gears update as it seems it would be more useful in functionality.

3 Likes

Yeah, that would help a lot because it was perfectly fine before for me but I think you should also let people who need this let them do this so I agree with evidrine

3 Likes

https://www.robotmesh.com/studio/5f499dd80efbbd0477039757 dude i cant put peices through the hole this is kind of an outrage. (And yes I AM complaining.) I know you mean well though.

2 Likes

Yes please change it because of Covid the only thing I can do to stay entertained is robotmesh pls change it :pleading_face: :pleading_face: :pleading_face:. Also this is my brother, :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Echoing everdine’s suggestion to be able to swap between modes. It would be hugely appreciated! I also agree with Stephen.Walsh that prioritizing being able to see the holes in metal pieces and screw heads would be the most valuable to aid in construction.

I am planning to teach my students to build mimics starting this week and all of the reference materials, videos etc show realistic looking parts. This will likely create confusion. While I see the advantage of having an option for simpler models for computers with lower specs, not being able to visualize parts is going to make it much for difficult for students to understand what they are doing, especially for those who will be using designs they create in mimics to build physical robots.

Thanks for providing this great software!

3 Likes

I agree with @mrmurf because I am technically a student (but we won’t get into that)
It is very hard to build no-hole robots because we can plug them in the really incorrect way and we wouldn’t even know! So I hope you guys at Robot Mesh change this.

2 Likes

Um hi, but we have an alternative way to keep the high-level robots and for people whose computers aren’t that good (no offense) you can keep the low-level one here is the link to the conversation, A setting you should add if possible
A thread started by an ingenious man by the name @motorbots_teammember well if your a woman sorry.

2 Likes

I agree with the users above. I understand wanting to make the program more stable and usable for folks user lower performance machine but in my opinion you’ve made the mimics portion of the program nearly unusable. Its incredible cumbersome to use because every object has become so overly simplified. I need this program to be fully functional because with distance learning this year, virtual robots may be the closest my kids get to actually building something this year. If this issue isn’t resolved soon I’m going to be forced to look at other, less ideal alternatives.

5 Likes

Hi, I know you guys meant well with this change, but… I had my students begin working today after coming back on RobotMesh. It was near impossible with the visual changes done. I don’t know which side of the screw I am looking at. I don’t know where the holes for the rails and chassis (metal) components are. I simply can’t use this program now which is a real shame as I enjoyed using it last year during lock-down.

Having 97% of people being able to use it is better then having 0% which is where it is now in my opinion. Some of my students had struggles, but everyone eventually was able to complete their projects to some level of acceptability.

I hope you guys revert these changes.

Take care,
Matt Der, SD41 Canada

5 Likes

Holes have now been restored to most IQ parts, and some EDR parts. More parts will be made holy later this week.

There have been sporadic reports of performance regressions on some models, which is the opposite of what we wanted for this update. If you have a project that runs slowly now, please link to it in this thread.

2 Likes

Yea, I would scrap this update completely, and revert back to the previous model. You are going to lose a large number of users who need to have a working model NOW! With the majority of schools already started, they simply do not have the time to wait and will simply choose to train their teachers/students with another learning model. Which I hate because I trained an entire county of teachers to use these mimics because of its ease of use, and its VEX specific parts library. But with the interface being a unrecognizable mess of basic cylinders, rectangles, and “walls”, It is just not conducive to a successful learning experience for students anymore. Also, if you are attempting to revert back, I would prioritize V5 over IQ for the simple reason that most students who utilize the CAD properties of your mimics are middle/high school students who use the V5 platform. I really hope this gets fixed soon. You had a great model, and I hope that we can get our students back onto it soon.

3 Likes

errrr… in robot mesh studio why is it still like this I know you guys added holes but it looks nothing like real parts and also can you please think about having the option to switch between
switching between no hole and yes hole?
Thanks hope I’m no too much trouble.

1 Like

@MotorBotsMember3 and @motorbots_teammember @mrmurf @cclay @JimmyLannister
@motorbotmember2 @kwolfe @Stephen.Walsh @evidrine

I agree with all of them especially the idea where some users can have the one with no holes if their computer can’t handle it while some of us can have the ones with holes if our computer is good enough. If the option to switch is too much work, then why not create a new website entirely?

2 Likes

I feel that you’ve cut off your leg to save a toe nail here…

2 Likes

hmmm :thinking: :thinking: I do understand it is an idiom though

1 Like